Wordcamp Blogfest: Matt Mullenweg state of the Word
*Blogging Live from WordCamp – Please excuse any typos *
Matt, wearing jeans, a light brown jacket and sneakers, giving his ‘annual speech’ taking the audience through WordPress‘ 6 years history, present and future. After taking us through the post evolution, and with help from Andy Peatling and Alex King, is presenting
* keep an eye on Themes this year. Current theme problems include spam, restrictions, etc.
* P2: powerful management of threaded comments on homepage
* BuddyPress: take facebook and put it in a box, create a social network on the fly.
* Plugins: WPtouch – plugin to make your WP mobilized; comment API, desktop moderation of comments; videopress
* WP 2.8 is coming 🙂 : improved screen option, ,multiple galleris per page, improved turbo access, password strength meter and new widgets, and most interesting: localized/internationalized themes (last year 27% of WP downloads were from outside of US, this year it’s 42%)
* Mobile: blackberry application coming out, iphone upgrades
* WPMU and WordPress.org merging codebase
* Robust Twitter integration management
WordPress Businesss Model by Alex King
* primary revenue stream is wordpress development and consulting
* 8 full time employees
* build plugins
* HelpCenter (oncall wordpress support center, troubleshooting, development and customization